Today is feeling like a perfect day for baking. This gloomy grey weather calls for the oven to be on and the sweet smell of cinnamon to be wafting through the house, so I decided to whip up some banana bread while the kids were content colouring and playing.
I went straight to my go-to banana bread recipe that I adapted from Cookie and Kate. This recipe isn't vegan, but it uses whole grain flour, coconut oil, full fat dairy & honey, which works for our family. If you're looking for a vegan recipe I highly suggest checking out Rachel Schwartzman's Best Vegan Banana Bread Recipe.
Hope you have a great long weekend and enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Honey Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil (or butter or any other mild tasting oil)
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tbsp of whole milk
- 2 Tbsp of full fat plain or greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius)
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan
- In a large bowl whisk your dry ingredients together and set aside - flour, baking soda, salt & cinnamon
- In a medium bowl beat oil and honey together. Add eggs and beat well
- Stir in mashed bananas, milk, yogur & vanilla
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit or any other addition you like
- Spread batter into the greased loaf pan
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes. Be sure to check that the bread is done baking by inserting a toothpick in the centre. It should come out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the loaf pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer out of pan to wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.