With winter weather making its appearance this week, it seems like the perfect time for some cozy and hearty meals. Here is one of our all time favourites, a delicious Parmesan Asparagus Barley Risotto. A great alternative to rice risottos and a little more forgiving when cooking. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 ½ cups pearl barley
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch asparagus
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ -1 cup grated parmesan
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add barley and cook stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until absorbed. Add ½ cup broth at a time while stirring frequently and allow barley to absorb broth well before adding more.
- Add asparagus with last ½ cup broth and cook until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, add parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh parmesan topping.
- Great for leftovers : )